Monday 2 July 2012

8 June - Hawes to Tan Hill Inn

Great start to the day with a well-cooked breakfast, and another B&B aiming to use local produce. The rain from last night hadn’t cleared, so for only the second time I had to don waterproofs prior to setting off.  There’s a gentle start following the River Ure until Hardraw is reached, and then the long climb begins up onto Black Hill Moss and then onto Great Shunner Fell.  The rain stopped about half way up, but visibility remained poor with swirling mist and I was grateful to have a rest in the cross shelter on Great Shunner Fell. 

Rain returned during the short descent into Thwaite, where I took the opportunity to grab a pot of tea at Keartons tea shop.  From there the walk towards Keld follows a rather awkward and uneven track, crossing various boulder slopes and I was grateful to at last reach Keld.  The rain if anything was getting heavier, and the slog up to Tan Hill was very wet and boggy, and for the first time during the walk I got wet feet as my fabric boots were overwhelmed by the amount of water they were having to cope with.

Arriving at Tan Hill Inn, and knowing its reputation for joke making, I was pretty much prepared for anything although I did baulk slightly when I was told “oh, yes, we’ve got you booked in but in 2 days’ time”!!  My response was simply to say that I’d arranged it for tonight with Tracy, at which point a room was found.  I still don’t know if it was a genuine mix up or one of their leg pulls!

Had a few pints of very nice Old Peculiar that evening, and was even persuaded to pull one of my own pints!  Was also lucky to find a live band (rock folk) was playing so the evening passed quite quickly and by the time I’d returned to my room my kit (except for my boots) had all dried out.

No comments:

Post a Comment