Monday 2 July 2012

7 June - Horton to Hawes

Dropped off at Pen y Ghent café around 0930 by my wife, who this time was heading home to Sussex so said goodbye to her and my daughter for the next 9 days, longest we’ve ever been apart.  Resisted the urge to grab another one of the café’s pint mugs of tea and headed instead out of the village and up onto Birkwith Moor.  I found today a rather boring day, with the exception of Ling Gill and Cam Beck, crossed by an old bridge dated 1765,

and later a brief view of the Ribblehead Viaduct from Cam High Road.  Mist came down while I was on Cam High Road and so I was rather surprised by a female runner sprinting out of the mist while I was resting at the rocks above Cam Houses.  The descent into Hawes is uninspiring, made even more so by the rain starting when I was only about half a mile from the B&B as until then my waterproofs had remained in my sac!

In Hawes I was staying at Herriots B&B, which also has a café and art gallery associated with it.  Rain was heavy that evening and I joined the locals in what is a very popular fish and chip shop, where I had their fish and chip special, which included mushy peas, slice of bread and a mug of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment