Monday 2 July 2012

3 June - Bleakedgate Moor to Badgersfield Farm

Day dawned early, and I was awake by 6, unfortunately the rest were still fast asleep!  Eventually got to breakfast at 8, and then it was into the car to be dropped where I finished yesterday, allowing wife and daughter to head towards the Eureka Children’s Museum in Halifax.

Weather was not good when I was dropped off, rain and wind, so it was on with the waterproofs and then away.  The walk started with a view I’d be looking forward to, the sight of the vehicles rushing under the bridge that carries the Pennine Way across the M62.  From there a short walk across Blackstone Edge, passing the Aiggin Stone, leads down to the A58 and the White Horse pub.  I’d originally intended to stop here for lunch, but given the extra miles yesterday I was now way too early (shame cos it looked very inviting) so pressed on past Blackstone Edge reservoir and two more before turning right to follow Warland Drain in the direction of Stoodley Pike. 

From there it’s downhill into the River Calder valley, followed by an uphill climb that can be tricky to follow until reaching the flatter fields surrounding Badgersfield Farm.  Worth noting here that my Etrex, like elsewhere, kept me unerringly on the straight and narrow, without it I might have already done a few more extra miles!

Ate tonight in the Stubbing Wharf in Hebden, another lovely meal and good ale to wash it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment