Monday 2 July 2012

5 June - Cowling to Malham

Dropped off around 0930 by my wife, where she’d collected me the day before, and with a quick wave I was off.  I found today a rather boring walk, joining as it does the end of the South Pennines to the beginning of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.  Generally it’s a succession of rolling countryside full of fields, mainly inhabited by sheep, with the attraction of following part of the Leeds and Liverpool canal for a short while. 

The highlight of the walk for me was going to be visiting the famous Dalesman Café in Gargrave. I say was because it was the Tuesday after the Jubilee Weekend, and the only day that weekend (and probably the whole year) that the café was shut!!  I could hardly credit it when I saw the sign on the door, looking forward as I was to a lovely cup of tea.  Thwarted I pressed on towards Malham, but then remembered the Townend Farm shop and cafe in Airton, so diverted there for a tea and a welcome slice of walnut cake! 

Eventually I managed to pull myself away and walked on into Malham and Beck Hall where we were staying.  Great welcome even though I’d arrived early and got another pot of tea to enjoy sitting outside listening to the babbling brook until the family turned up about an hour later.

That evening we ate in the Buck Inn, not particularly liked by the rest of the family but I had a good meal, although pricey, and a great pint of Theakstons.

No comments:

Post a Comment