Monday 2 July 2012

6 June - Malham to Horton

I was looking forward to today, not least because I could get away straight after breakfast.  The real draw though was the thought of Pen y Ghent and its namesake café in Horton.  A short walk from Beck Hall brought me to Malham Cove, and a climb of the stone steps that allows a swift ascent to the top. 

It was then that the rain started, so it was waterproofs on for the second time in 6 days and then press on.  Malham tarn came and went and by the time I reached Fountains Fell the rain was torrential.  Had there been somewhere to shelter I’d have done so, but there isn’t so it was a simple matter of continuing on.  Thankfully after about an hour the rain abated, but I still seemed dry and my Asolo boots seemed waterproof.

As Pen y Ghent came into view it was shrouded in cloud, which lifted a tad to enable me to take a couple of photos but it was clear vis at the top would be poor. 

As I approached the steep climb at the western end I spotted a group of 4 young walkers behind me.  I never like to be passed on a hill so increased my pace as best I could and was pleased to be able to stay in front of them all the way to the top (60 is the new 40 apparently but I felt all of my 60 years at that point!).

Relying on my GPS to take me safely onto the right route off the top I glanced behind me after about 30 minutes of leaving the top to see it now bathed in glorious sunshine! 

If only I’d walked slower today I’d have enjoyed the views from the top, but at least I was now able to take off my wet weather gear.  I did consider for a second or two about returning up the hill, but in the end decided to head on towards Horton, the draw of the famous Pen y Ghent café being stronger.   There I signed the book and had one of their distinctive ‘pint mugs of tea’.  Another one followed which kept me occupied until my wife arrived to collect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment