Monday 28 May 2012

Final few days of preparation

Long range weather forecast is looking good after the recent heatwave.  My final training walk, completed last week in hot weather for a change, reminded me that I hadn't added sun cream to my list of 'things to take', something that was immediately remedied!

Packed the rucksack today, which without fluids weighs in at just over 12kgs, a weight that I'd been training with and am quite comfortable carrying.  It would reduce considerably during days 3 to 6, as my wife would be supporting me by car so some stuff could be dumped during the day.

Final check also on my GPS.  Emptied of everything 'non Pennine Way' and loaded with daily routes, waypoints and geocaches (50) that I hoped to collect 'en route'.  As 'belt and braces' the individual day routes are all loaded on the fitted SD card, with a combined route loaded to the device just in case the card fails.  Hopefully my Etrex 20 will perform flawlessly like it did in my first 7 months of use and not crash spectacularly like it did a few weeks ago!

Roll on Thursday when I catch the train from Worthing to Edale!

No comments:

Post a Comment